7 Sept 2010

Conversation with the Homeless Man (London)



I was walking home with my grocery, as usual I have to pass by the 2.5metres wide space in between the exit of underground station and the bus stop. The guy selling the "Big Issue" magazine was standing outside there in front of the glass partition of the bus stop.  From a distant, he looks a bit different from the one usually there and normally, the man sits on the ground with a bag of stuff by his side, right at the same spot.
I walked pass the side of the man, tried to recognize him but he turned his head looking at something else. I went about 10metres away, then I decided to turn back and buy the magazine from this man as I haven't get one yet this week.
When I look at him, I realised he is the same man.
He also recognized me. "How are you?" He asked me in his rough voice with a very inward smile on his face. It is a bit unusual, he started the conversation.
I answered, 'I am fine, thank you. and how are you today?'
He said, 'I am ok, I am fine.'
I said, 'That's good.' and I gave him the money for the magazine.
He handed the magazine to me and said, 'Thank you and I am fine. I am ok. There is always someone worse off than you.'
I asked, 'Sorry, what's that mean? worse off than you?'
He said, 'It means there is always someone who have even bigger problem than the one I have. so I am ok.'
I said, 'I see, ok.'
He said, 'Thank you. Take Care.'
I said, 'Thank you and you take care too.'
I turned back and kept on going my way to home.




No comments:

Post a Comment